Compassion International, Peru 2012, Uncategorized

Love Moves

I would like to say I overslept accidentally, but the reality is I ignored my alarm. I thought about the plane that would take me from my house in a few hours and I hit the snooze button. I stared at the wall, unmoving.

Todd whispered that it was time, and I stood, legs weak and mind racing. I went through the motions of putting on my clothes and makeup, and after a few minutes I heard footsteps coming and tried to pull myself together for them. Look brave. Act like it’s not a big deal that we’re leaving today.

“I’m scared, mommy.” Abby said as soon as she walked in the bathroom.

I turned her to face the mirror and while my hands unconsciously braided her hair, I asked what she was the most concerned about. She snapped the hair tie on her wrist, rocking side to side.

“I don’t want to see the people who live on the street.”

I steadied her head with my hands, straightening her up so I could finish the braid.

Her eyes met mine in the mirror.

“I can understand that. Is there anything else?”

She shook her head, but her shoulders stayed high and locked.

“Maybe there is, but you just don’t know how to say it. You think?”

I reached my hand out and she handed me the rubber band, nodding as tears filled her eyes.

“You’re moving, baby. Stop moving. Mommy’s trying to get it steady.” It was easier to tell her to stop moving than to admit my hands were shaking.

“Just stay still, hon.” I felt the tears, the knot in my stomach; the paralyzation that comes from fear.

I couldn’t move.

But somehow I did. Somehow we did.

All day yesterday I watched that braid as it drifted just ahead of me through airport terminals. I watched as she twisted it in circles, round and round, when we met our Compassion team, and while she slept for a few minutes on our flight, I marveled at how long it had gotten.

When she was 2, I struggled for ponytails. As soon as the sprout of hair poked its way out, I was armed with bobby pins, bows, and a wet comb.

It’s a rite of passage, I suppose.

As we finally settled into our hotel last night, unpacked, talked, and decompressed a little, it was nearly 2 am. I tucked them in with assurances of what the Lord was going to do, and I prayed while they slept. I watched her silhouette rise and fall while cars honked and the television whispered Spanish, her braid lying long across her pillow while she dreamed.

I didn’t know what to expect from today, so all I told them was that we were here to love and the rest would fall into place. Abby asked if she would have to talk to anyone and I told her she wouldn’t. I made a joke about how they wouldn’t understand her anyway and she giggled. But I wanted her to know that there was no pressure on her to have conversations or interactions that she wasn’t comfortable with, and that nobody was expecting anything from her.

She held my hand on the long bus ride over to the first Compassion project and stared out the window.

“There they are, mommy.” She whispered, never turning away from them.

I squeezed her hand.

“We’re just here to love them, babe. We aren’t going to be afraid.”

“I don’t know how to love them.” She replied.

“You will.” I kissed her head and let her watch as I pointed out the hills and the children and the colors that belied crushing circumstances.

When the bus finally stopped, I knew she would be hesitant, so I stood up like it was another day in life and walked off like I had done it a million times.

For the record, it helped me too.

The moving, I mean.

One foot, then the next. It’s the best I could do.

As we walked into the church, we heard loud cheering and saw flags waving while radiant faces welcomed us. We listened to several people speak and watched all of the little ones wander around us. I could tell she was warming up but maybe not quite ready to jump into things. A bit of time passed and a woman asked if she wanted to help hand out food to the kids. She shook her head no and looked at the ground.

Many of you don’t know this about my Abby. She is gregarious, funny, deliciously kind…but as far as anything where she would stand out and be in front of a group, she freezes. In her weekly tutorial class, her stomach stays in knots anticipating “presentation time.”  When her name is called she just says, “I can’t,” and the teacher moves to the next child. I didn’t want her to feel like she had to “perform” in any way on this trip, so I just let her sit and soak it all up.

I let her be still.

She’ll know when to move.

“What do we do after this, mommy?” She asked.

“We are going to go to the home of one of these kids and meet a family.”

“Inside their house?”

“Yes, baby.” I said.

I knew this wasn’t going to be easy for her, and as we filed into the tiny room a few minutes later, I watched her sway from side to side. I tapped a chair on the far side of the room where we could sit together and listen.

While the woman (Lily) explained that her husband had recently been taken by police officers and wrongfully imprisoned, her son played quietly and her infant daughter slept on her lap. The translator winced as she explained that there had been an accident about a month ago, where the the little girl had been left in the care of a relative and had stepped into a pot of boiling water. As Lily peeled the sock back from her daughter’s foot, I saw the scars and tried not to gasp audibly.

Abby stared at her, eyes wide, and I wondered if this had all been a mistake.

Why did we come? We could be home, safe and sound, life humming at its normal pace.

She’s still a little girl with a little braid and a little heart.

And this is a room with a plastic tarp as a ceiling and flies swarming in the dust.

What kind of mother brings her daughter into this?

I wonder if other moms might not say the same-if it seems noble and important and they ignore the nagging sense that this might hurt their children instead of inspire them.

In an instant, I saw Lily’s eyes cloud over she cradled her daughter, and the words looped together in my mind, speaking peace to my mother’s heart.

You love yours the way she loves hers.

Let Me do the rest.

As they led us into open area in the back of the home, I watched as tiny shirts danced from the clothesline and a teacher from the center helped the boy wash his hands.

Despite the fact that my children have rarely seen a sight this desperate, even in movies, I prayed a simple prayer.

Before we left Lily’s home, we took some time to pray for her.

Abby cowered behind me.

Eyes closed, I asked the Lord to intercede for this sweet woman, and to provide for her and remind her that He is present. As the team continued, I opened my eyes just long enough to see that Abby had moved. She was standing, eyes wrinkled shut in prayer, with her hand rubbing Lily’s arm. Incredulous at her courage, I watched her fingers drift up and down, tenderly, honestly…the purity of the moment startled me.

This is how love moves.

It braids, it rocks, it comforts, it mourns, it whispers through prisoner’s bars if need be…

It breathes hope and it braves runways.

It says “we” instead of “they.”

Every step we take in the direction of compassion brings us closer to the the cross, and I don’t know that I’ve ever seen the Gospel more clearly illustrated in my life.

Just after the prayer, Abby embraced Lily in a way that makes words choke in insufficiency.

It moves us, this kind of love.

A thousand sermons could never preach what you did today, my Abby-girl.

It isn’t an obligation, but rather a privilege. And at the risk of sounding pushy, I’ll say it anyway.

You have the opportunity to touch a life right this second.

She’s nine years old and she made love move today.

Will you?

Sponsor a child

• Reply Flower Patch Farmgirl November 13, 2012 at 10:41 pm

So beautiful. Praying for the whole brave team.

• Reply Katie Axelson November 13, 2012 at 10:42 pm

There are tears in my eyes! And this is only the first post I’m reading from the trip. I can tell it’s going to be a great, powerful week. Praying for you all!

• Reply Laura November 13, 2012 at 10:45 pm

So powerful. Thank you for sharing with us!

• Reply Carey Dunlop November 13, 2012 at 10:48 pm

It’s so hard to know just how much of the world to share with our kiddos, but to share love and show them ways to share it, wow. Looking forward to making a compassion child part of our Christmas this year and for many years to come.

• Reply Kristen O'Neill Strong November 13, 2012 at 10:53 pm

Well done, Mama, with your words *and* your girls. And this right here ~ “Make their eyes blind to anything but love, and make them brave enough to act on it.” Carrying this in my heart tonight. Stunning, moving post, Angie. Love you!

• Reply Tina Squires November 15, 2012 at 11:11 pm

me too

• Reply Laura November 13, 2012 at 10:54 pm

Beautiful…praying for all of you and for many to be moved. I’m praying to see a glimpse of our Jasson in one of the centers.

You are brave, precious and most important…obedient. The obedience is what makes all of your beautiful.
    Much love to all of you.

• Reply Angie November 13, 2012 at 10:55 pm

Moved to tears. Just…wow.

• Reply Leigh November 13, 2012 at 10:56 pm

Oh, Angie! Powerful words and even more powerful pictures. Life changing. Pure love. Thank you for being brave to take your girls. And, Abby, your love shines bright tonight in Peru and in each place this post is read. Praying for y’all!

• Reply Ann Voskamp November 13, 2012 at 10:58 pm

a thousand, thousand sermons.
    Oh girl.

All day, this is all I’ve got:
    The Gospel is not only what we believe in. The Gospel is ultimately what we. live. out.

*Love moves*

Love you so, Angie.

• Reply Daniel Farrow November 15, 2012 at 5:10 am

I couldn’t say it any better than Ann has already. Thank you for sharing the difficult things Angie. Shalom (God’s Perfect Peace), Daniel

• Reply Tina Squires November 15, 2012 at 11:09 pm

I agree

• Reply Tina Squires November 15, 2012 at 11:10 pm

that is true and I strongly believe that

• Reply KrisSpringer November 13, 2012 at 11:05 pm

LOVE THIS!!!

• Reply Amanda Goodwin November 13, 2012 at 11:08 pm

Your words, again, move me. Your courage to bring your girls moves me. This is the ultimate motherly love.

I’m 25 and am trying to go on my first Compassion trip in June, Lord willing (finances) and reading your experiences is always a blessing.

I am praying for all of you and I know love is stirring all around you. These people will never be the same once the love of God in your heart, smile, and voice pass them by. God bless you sister for your compassion and teaching your girls how to love as He loved us.

• Reply Tina Squires November 15, 2012 at 11:36 pm

yes thank you

• Reply Jean Marie November 13, 2012 at 11:09 pm

Tears in my eyes. This is what I’m praying for Abby, for Ellie, for you, Angie. Feeling the Holy Spirit move you to LOVE how He loves. Thank you for sharing.

• Reply Audra Lewis Tilden November 13, 2012 at 11:10 pm

I can’t stop crying :) love all 3 of you girls!

• Reply Jessica Turner November 13, 2012 at 11:12 pm

I love you. I love your girls. Praying for love lessons each day of your trip. xoxo

• Reply Sara November 13, 2012 at 11:20 pm

What a sweet girl. You have no clue what you’re doing for your girls. They’ll remember this always.

• Reply Jen Wright November 13, 2012 at 11:20 pm

I AM UNDONE … at all of this!!! It is for sure one of the MOST beautiful things I have ever read. Honestly!! It is the gospel lived out in its purest form. Kudos momma. You are choosing the better thing!!! You are!!! Praying for tomorrow and another deposit into your babies heart that will knit theirs to a Christ that loves with reckless abandon!! Undone!! Mercy. :)

• Reply Jen Gash November 13, 2012 at 11:29 pm

Human touch is love in action. This week, when there is fear and there are no words, touch removes the fear and the need to speak. Love you girls. Praying for you and the team. And for you to see God in powerful ways. And for you to be more gloriously wrecked than ever. Hugs to you.

• Reply Deb Surdyke November 13, 2012 at 11:36 pm

I don’t even have words! SO GOD!

• Reply Julie November 13, 2012 at 11:45 pm

Breathtakingly beautiful- as only He can be. He is shining through your sweet girls and you. Have a blessed safe trip. You’re an incredible, godly mother.

• Reply Kimberly Compton November 14, 2012 at 12:01 am

As tears streaming down my face, I pray for you and your girls. Love does move, doesn’t it. Thanks for touching my heart.

• Reply Jill Foley November 14, 2012 at 12:11 am

Beautiful in every way.

• Reply Jacque Watkins November 14, 2012 at 12:13 am

The gift of your words, your writing, your storytelling…it’s magical! And as a mama, I’m moved and undone in the most glorious of ways. “It breathes hope and it braves runaways…this is how love moves.” May it be so, is my prayer tonight, for you, for the girls, for the whole team, and most of all for the children.

• Reply Annie28 November 14, 2012 at 12:20 am

This was a beautiful post, Angie. I’m fighting tears.

• Reply Steve Jones November 14, 2012 at 12:37 am

Having a déjà vu moment here reading your words and fighting back the tears. What an amazing story of today! Thank you for having the guts to do this again. And so proud of you for bringing your girls. I know God totally wrecked me again when I saw it all through their eyes and I realized how much more He knows about what’s best for them than I do.

• Reply Jen November 14, 2012 at 12:43 am

• Reply Megan November 14, 2012 at 12:49 am

So beautiful

• Reply kodi November 14, 2012 at 1:08 am

Wow. Wow wow wow. I know you’re not looking for affirmation, but I think this post shows that you’re doing this parenting thing a whole lot better than most of us. I can only pray that someday I can lead my children to the knowledge that success by worldly definition is nothing, and Jesus is everything.

Sidenote: I saw you at Women of Faith in KC and you were AMAZING. I wanted to come tell you, but I was volunteering so during your meet & greets I was preoccupied, but seriously- you don’t think you’re a speaker, but you spoke straight to my heart.

• Reply Audrey November 14, 2012 at 1:57 am

Abby and Ellie, I’m so proud of you. I’m praying for your trip! I love you and miss you, and God is using you in amazing ways. -Miss Audrey

• Reply Tina Squires November 15, 2012 at 11:33 pm

yeah he is

• Reply Sonika Raj November 14, 2012 at 5:15 am

“One foot, then the next” – indeed, Angie. Indeed. Thank you for putting one foot in front of the other and yet, being brave enough to let your daughter go at her own pace – that’s a real gift. And this – “make their eyes blind to anything but love, and make them brave enough to act on it” – this is just beautiful. Thank you for sharing your story.

• Reply Paige November 14, 2012 at 5:17 am

Wow!. I saw the picture earlier on twitter but once I read the story I was moved to tears. What courage and what a tiny (in person) example of the great love of our Savior!

• Reply Nester November 14, 2012 at 7:04 am

Angie, I don’t know how you do this with your words but I’m so glad that you do. I’m so glad you went again and took two of your girls. Thank you! xoxo

• Reply Franmthomas November 14, 2012 at 7:14 am

Oh Angie…a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes sister. Thank you for sharing this with us…I want to love like that. Absolutely beautiful. Praying for all of you….all of us.

• Reply Kathy Erkkila Ptaszek November 14, 2012 at 7:19 am

Very touching…and inspiring. Just love. What a great idea!

• Reply Amy Hunt November 14, 2012 at 7:20 am

Yes and Amen! Praying for your hearts and what God wants to show you about His through your togetherness.

• Reply mongupp November 14, 2012 at 7:46 am

I did not expect that picture. Absolutely beautiful.

• Reply Dianne November 14, 2012 at 7:52 am

She is beautiful in its most pure sense… beyond her years…

• Reply SouthernGalThoughts November 14, 2012 at 7:52 am

This brought tears to my eyes and love to my heart. Good job, Mama. Listening and letting God have His way with her.

• Reply Teena November 14, 2012 at 7:53 am

Wow. My heart is burst open….. praying all of you through. Powerful. Love. Much love.

• Reply Jill November 14, 2012 at 7:57 am

What a beautiful, powerful post. I traveled to Haiti this Summer and it was the most difficult, scary, wonderful experience. I didn’t really realize it at the time, but you’re right….love moves… step at a time.
    What an amazing experience for your girls. They will be changed, no doubt.
    Thanks for sharing your trip with us!

• Reply Dianne November 14, 2012 at 8:13 am

She is a beauty. Of the truest kind. Thank you, thank you, for being brave.

• Reply Aimee November 14, 2012 at 8:19 am

Wow! This is so beautiful, Angie. Brought me back to when our family visited our Compassion children in the Philippines last year… our kids were 10 and 14 at the time. So powerful.

Love moves. Amen, sister!

• Reply Amanda Reeves November 14, 2012 at 8:47 am

All I can say is wow, what an amazing experience for you and your girls to experience together. So thankful for the words that God spoke with you in this post. You are an amazing mother! God Bless!

• Reply Maria Aguilar Castro November 14, 2012 at 9:04 am

Kelly said i would cry & I am ;) so true & powerful!!! I was once very poor girl from a border town in Texas I have been soooo blessed and my husbands new business is growing and we pray God gives us the ability to give and to do it w him in mind!!!!! Thx so much

• Reply Deb November 14, 2012 at 9:04 am

Sorry, I just can’t quit crying. What a blessing for you and your children to experience real love. To love unconditionally, just like OUR GOD does. o/ PRAISE THE LORD for following GOD’s plan for you and your childrens life. GOD bless! Deb

• Reply Tina Squires November 15, 2012 at 11:29 pm

yes way to go

• Reply Sally McAttee November 14, 2012 at 9:09 am

Very touching and convicting. We are to show unconditional love to all people and share the love of Jesus with them. Thanks for sharing.

• Reply Tina Squires November 15, 2012 at 11:28 pm

yes that is our job as followers and disciples of Jesus Christ

• Reply Stefenie November 14, 2012 at 9:09 am

This was beautiful! Thank you for sharing your heart so honestly!

• Reply christinagomez123 November 14, 2012 at 9:15 am

Absolutely beautiful! There simply are no more words…just beautiful!

• Reply Ashley Ferguson November 14, 2012 at 9:20 am

Praying for all of you, this post really spoke to me.

• Reply Carisa November 14, 2012 at 9:29 am

Beautiful in so many ways…

• Reply Patricia Church-Ellis November 14, 2012 at 9:55 am

tears ~ love moves through your words in ways you don’t even realize ~ how beautiful

• Reply Sally Larkin Green November 14, 2012 at 10:46 am

It’s awesome when God shows up. I love that he is moving in the lives of our children. What an exciting time for you and your family. Do not doubt the power of God ~ he speaks to those who listen. What a wonderful adventure to embark on. Enjoy every moment of it.

• Reply Tina Squires November 15, 2012 at 11:26 pm

he sure does speak to his children

• Reply Melissa Hutsell November 14, 2012 at 10:47 am

So good. SO hard. What a holiday season this will forever be. Forever different.

• Reply Megan LaPorte November 14, 2012 at 10:52 am

What a beautiful, beautiful post. Your way of writing is…well, exquisite.

• Reply NHudspeth November 14, 2012 at 10:53 am

Tears! God BLESS everyone on this trip! Giving & Receiving!

• Reply Kelly November 14, 2012 at 10:54 am

In tears at my desk. So so beautiful.

• Reply Lisa-Jo Baker November 14, 2012 at 11:01 am

Makes me want to pack my kids up onto the middle row of an airplane anywhere and show them the upside down places of the world. Or maybe just drive them a neighborhood over. And all move together.

• Reply Mary Graham November 14, 2012 at 11:22 am

WOW! Thank you, Angie, and sweet Abby for such a beautiful and powerful reminder of what love looks life. My prayers are with you and I send my love to you and those precious girls.

• Reply Tina Squires November 15, 2012 at 11:25 pm

me too

• Reply Julie Sunne November 14, 2012 at 11:23 am

Beautiful and moving. You’ve said it all in just doing. All glory to God who’s sending His love through your sweet daughter.

• Reply Kat @Inspired2Action November 14, 2012 at 11:29 am

• Reply tammy strait November 14, 2012 at 11:31 am

beautiful. so, incredibly beautiful. love moves. yes. yes, it does.

• Reply emily p freeman November 14, 2012 at 11:39 am

Been thinking of you all day – and of your girls.

• Reply Kristen Hutchinson November 14, 2012 at 11:54 am

Angie, I am so excited to see your girls on this trip with you! What a huge blessing! I’m guessing you guys do Classical Conversations with your girls?? We do, too! :-) “To Know Him and Make Him Known”… so awesome they’re walking this out in Peru!

• Reply Taylor November 14, 2012 at 11:57 am

More beautiful words were never written. Such a testimony and your girls are so blessed to have you. Praying you all through this trip!

• Reply Jenn November 14, 2012 at 12:09 pm

Wow! Thank you for taking the steps forward to go there and bring your girls even though you didn’t have the courage on your own. Your Abby has taught me so much today about how to love…

• Reply Diana L November 14, 2012 at 12:31 pm

so here I am, having just prayed to be a blessing to those who will come through our Boutiqe doors, and now I have to not look like I’ve been crying.
    Love moves – indeed! You have modelled this love of His well, and He was cheering as Abby was Jesus to that mom.
    Peace and safety as you and your travel this week.

• Reply Teena Graham Price November 14, 2012 at 12:40 pm

wow. I have read this three times already today. Once alone….. once to my children and once to my husband! Thank you so much for sharing. LOVE MOVES. So proud of your girls. I dream of taking my two boys (9 & 10) to Bolivia one day to meet their Erik! Praying and following all week. Much love

• Reply Kristin November 14, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Love moves.
    It’s all I can see as I read through the tears.
    Love moves.
    Thank you, Angie. And thank you Abby.

• Reply Carrie Herndon November 14, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Thank you. For reminding me that God meets us and moves us past the fear to love.

• Reply Tina Squires November 15, 2012 at 11:10 pm

yes thank you and that is so comforting

• Reply ohamanda {impress your kids} November 14, 2012 at 1:11 pm

So gorgeous. Thank you for bringing your girls. What a treasure for them. But also for us to see–and to encourage us to encourage our own kids in hard things—hard things that lead to beauty. Praying for you all this week!

• Reply Sara November 14, 2012 at 1:48 pm

Beautiful is all I can type as I’m wiping away the tears.

• Reply Kevin & Misti Oblander November 14, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Tears streamed down my face as I read your beautiful post! Your girls will never forget the things they will see & experience on this trip. Praying for all of the team!

• Reply Kristi Rudisill November 14, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Beautiful testimony of how we can truly make a difference, showing God’s love to those in need. A good resource for getting to these countries on the mission field is through Many missionaries don’t realize that they can get lower airfares through them, but you can :) God Bless you in your good works!

• Reply Joy Lujan November 14, 2012 at 3:21 pm

tears. Love Moves. Or, as James says, “Live It.” Thank you, thank you, thank you.

• Reply Tracey November 14, 2012 at 3:28 pm

The girls with their eyes closed as they hug Lily made my heart burst. Thank you for taking them. Thank you for going to show us how love moves.

• Reply Carol November 14, 2012 at 3:37 pm

Thanks for letting us in on such beauty.

• Reply Zhanna November 14, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Wow! I don’t even know what to say!

“She’s nine years old and she made love move today.”

What a powerful message. My eyes are flooded with tears.

I’m scared as well. This is what I want to do. I want to go out and love on people. I want to step out of my comfort zone.

And you did it. I love how you said you’re take one step in front of the other, that its the best you could do. Such honesty. Such obedience. Taking those steps is the best start, a beautiful start, it is all that is required and God does the rest. He just needs obedience.

Thank you for this Angie!

• Reply Keely Marie Scott November 14, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Wow… i mean WOW! So excited to not only travel with you through your words but through the girls too! Thankful for you friend! xo

• Reply Kristin November 14, 2012 at 4:36 pm

:’) Love does move…thank you…..proud mama moments

• Reply bconnor November 14, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Wow… just wow. Thank you for sharing this journey with us. Our prayers are with all of you!

• Reply Tonya Salomons November 14, 2012 at 6:03 pm

So moved… moved beyond words!!! Thank you a thousand tmes thank you!

• Reply Linda McDonald November 14, 2012 at 6:08 pm

I am speechless, thank you for sharing this beautiful message.

• Reply Linsey @ LLH Designs November 14, 2012 at 8:15 pm

OH, my heart. THIS is love…pure love…HIS love. And oh, how it moves! Thank you for sharing!

• Reply Coby November 14, 2012 at 8:20 pm

I am absolutely speechless and in tears. You – Christ IN you! – inspire me to love bigger, better, more – to look for ways to teach my boys the way you are teaching your girls, to love and serve beyond boundaries and my own fears, to give what I am able…and then some. What Ann Voskamp said: “…The Gospel is ultimately what we live out.”

Thank you for sharing this.

• Reply Tina Squires November 15, 2012 at 11:19 pm

That is true and we all try to live in away that’s pleasing to GOD

• Reply Lynn Bennett November 14, 2012 at 8:43 pm

Thank you for sharing this incredible moment and your reminder that “love moves”. I am asking the Lord to remind me in each of the moments that lie before me!

• Reply Emily November 14, 2012 at 8:53 pm

Incredible. Thank you Abby for your courage.

• Reply Words « Krista on Purpose November 14, 2012 at 11:02 pm

[…] Smith shared on her blog last night an amazing post called “Love Moves.” Please read it and consider sponsoring a child if you can. For all that we think we don’t […]

• Reply We are experiencing technical difficulties - Big Mama November 15, 2012 at 12:02 am

[…] meantime, there is a group of Compassion Bloggers in Peru right now. You absolutely need to go read Love Moves by Angie Smith. And I know Angie would appreciate our prayers for her nine-year-old twin girls that […]

• Reply Alysa Bajenaru, RD November 15, 2012 at 2:32 am

One foot in front of the other. Just move. Thank you sweet girl.

• Reply MomsMustardSeeds November 15, 2012 at 6:17 am

Thank you….thank you for sharing the pictures and the words….my children and I are following along…it’s eye opening for them…as they witness a world so full of life and love – yet empty of things…things that cause distractions in our world. Yes, love Moves….thank you!

• Reply Sarah Bowers November 15, 2012 at 7:55 am

With tears streaming down my face, I say thank you! For the families you meet in Peru and for your girls – what a gift!

• Reply tina zimney November 15, 2012 at 9:04 am

Angie, before reading this, I had put your name down for my bible study question of, who is your role model, who are you attracted to, look up to, desire to be like and why????? Your name came to mind very quickly. This is why, this post, you have this soft compassion about you, you light up when you talk of God, you have an easy delivery in your talking. Angie, my dream would be to go on a trip like this with YOU. To meet you. Tina Zimney

• Reply Carry On, But Humbly « Cobbled Stones November 15, 2012 at 1:37 pm

[…] into action, everything but God’s approval becomes irrelevant.   Here is a great post on Love Moves.   So as we revel in that undeserved love God lavishes on us, we can more easily smile no matter […]

• Reply molly November 15, 2012 at 2:00 pm

I’m speechless. And I’m a writer. So that says a lot. I so want to go on a mission trip. It has been on my heart since I started going to church again. I just don’t know where to find direction. I think I would be like Abby. Scared at first. But bravery would come because you’re right. Love moves.

• Reply Barbara Quiring November 15, 2012 at 4:45 pm

I live in Ecuador with my family as we serve as missionaries here. I wonder, too, what I have done to my children raising them here? I trust that their lives are richer and that they have a better understanding of how to love their fellow man. They do not fit in North America, but they certainly do not look like they belong here either. I trust that God can work “all things together for good”. He is a God of miracles.

Barbara Q.

• Reply Tina Squires November 15, 2012 at 11:16 pm

yes he is

• Reply Yvonne Reynolds November 15, 2012 at 5:12 pm

You and your daughters are being ‘doers of the Word, not merely hearers’. Love speaks volumes and it is so apparent in that tender hug.

• Reply Connie November 15, 2012 at 7:08 pm

The spirit within us moves us and others… This has moved me.
    Absolutely beautiful!
    Godspeed on your pilgrimage,

• Reply Alyson November 15, 2012 at 10:03 pm

Angie, Beautiful post. Inspiring. Full of trust, grace and love. Last May (2011), we brought into our home a 15 yr old from our foster care system. She moved into our family. We have two biological girls who were 11 and 9 at the time. HARD as a momma to see your children have to live out the gospel 24/7 and give up everything they knew as “normal”. We are now living a life of daily renewal as we live in the weaving of His tapestry. Fast forward to this past May, our 15 yr old’s bio brother moves in after we fight for a year to reunite them. Again, our understanding of what our life “should look like” in our comfortable culture has been shattered…..and I am forever grateful. I am renewed each day. My biological children are loving in ways I never could imagine. Our now family of 6 is only because of the unchanging grace and truth of our Lord and Savior. Press on to raise arrows for our Mighty King. The rewards will be great living out the truth of His love…..

• Reply Tina Squires November 15, 2012 at 11:14 pm

Amen to that

• Reply Mary November 15, 2012 at 10:20 pm

So great to read your blog. I returned from a Compasson trip to Peru Oct.21 and visited my sponsored child while there, first trip with Compassion so really enjoying getting to do it again through you.

• Reply cathy November 15, 2012 at 10:41 pm

Love moves!! The love you show through Compassion and the love you have shown and taught your sweet girls moved me! Thank you for sharing!
    God Bless!

• Reply BBakeca November 16, 2012 at 6:25 am

Awesome article…thanks for sharing!

• Reply Friday Five | Elizabeth Hyndman November 16, 2012 at 9:22 am

[…] I love, love this by Angie Smith: Love Moves. But only read it if you’re prepared to cry. All her Peru posts are wonderful and I’m […]

• Reply Chuck B November 16, 2012 at 1:39 pm

It breathes hope and it braves runways.

It says “we” instead of “they.”

• Reply End of Week Links- Writing, Love and Peru November 16, 2012 at 2:59 pm

[…] along with two of her daughters, has been in Peru this week with Compassion International. Her post Love Moves is….Well, I don’t know if I have words for it. It is beyond beautiful of what this life […]

• Reply Andi Hunter November 16, 2012 at 10:25 pm

So poignant & absolutely breathtaking. Thank you. I saw God move through love last weekend on a Walk to Emmaus, it’s just amazing & yet so simple.

• Reply The Compassion Bloggers in Peru… « Looking after the little ones. November 17, 2012 at 1:28 pm

[…] Angie Smith’s “Love Moves” was really probably one of my “top” favorites.  Make sure you have kleenex on hand when you read this one. […]

• Reply Sunday Link Love — Geek Mama November 18, 2012 at 6:50 am

[…] Love Moves – I have future plans to take my little ones on a mission trip when they’re older. Not because I think we can be so helpful (because I have serious doubts about that), but so that they can see life outside of our bubble and God working in communities far different than our own. I read this and wondered if I would be able to take them. Seriously, I’m sitting here on the couch half-watching a dumb sit-com while I read it, and I could barely hold it together. […]

• Reply The Good Stuff November 19, 2012 at 12:12 am

[…] Love Moves :: Angie Smith The Best Christmas Present Ever :: Beauty and Bedlam […]

• Reply Drenched in Discouragement – Dried by Christ | Here Am I November 20, 2012 at 8:39 pm

[…] everything was actually nothing in the eyes of America.  See?  But don’t just stop there.  Read another story about those who had nothing, and gained everything because someone like you decided to lose their […]

• Reply Giving for the Holidays — Giving Up on Perfect November 27, 2012 at 5:49 pm

[…] Smith – Bring the Rain Love Moves Esperanza Open […]

• Reply FOUR CORNERS OF THE INTERNET v12 « This is my life… December 2, 2012 at 12:17 am

[…] kids they sponser in Peru. Every single time she posts, I’m crying! You can read them here, here, here, here, and here […]

• Reply familiaT January 7, 2013 at 10:48 pm

This is where I live. This is the family I married into. Maybe not the same country, but one like it- brown children play outside the window as I type- their Spanish shrieks up to me between the air nail sounds coming from the pallet factory next to my husband’s family’s house.

After you people leave- “you people”- you short term Jesus people- they talk about you. About how all your “love” comes only with the offer to forego their ancient beliefs, which they happily (and have happily for years) weave through the catholicism (but their own special kind) of their foremothers.

About how you stay only so long, and conveniently capture moments like this on camera for your home churches, asking for sponsorship (they know how it goes). (Oh and I clicked on your link, see I was right- all about the dollar, huh?) Some of you might bring true capital- which is what they REALLY need- but too few of you bring only your solid middle class PITY, your staring children that won’t play in the mud (my children have had chicken lice twice over the holiday week – this is how you love people- down in the mud, playing folkloric games WITH them, instead of shaking your judgmental fingers at that folklore.)

Yeah, we see you parade through here with your cameras ready, your whiteness your badge of difference- always so “loving” but always so separate. We see you popping into the neighboring towns for your crap souvenirs, counting your pesos so carefully. We know what you truly bring.
    They know, too. They talk about you after you leave: (“spare us your sermons, bring us a dentist! that will stay!”). You disgust me, with your waving cameras and your “works.”

• Reply love moves, bring the rain | one saturday morning January 20, 2013 at 7:54 pm

[…] Love moves, bring the rain. It sounded so sad at first and the very next day I wanted to change it again because I don’t want to be sad the entire semester. But me being me, laziness took over and this quote kind of grew on me, and so it stayed. […]

• Reply Posts You Need to Read | Ashley Lately June 10, 2014 at 9:01 pm

[…] Today I wanted to share a few posts by YOU that I have loved over the last few days!   Love Moves: Angie shared a beautiful post about the first day of her and her daughters’ Compassion trip […]